Saturday, May 1, 2010

Old habits die hard, but they can still die.

The greatest rap group ever, DC Talk, said it best back in the day 'Time is tickin' tick-tick-tickn' away!!!'  That was very evident this week as it seemed like I was late for every meeting, every gym work-out, and obviously my weekly blog.  It's been an interesting week.  A couple of triumphs, a few minor slips, but the new lifestyle change seems to be sticking.

On Wednesday I had the very special privilege of participating in an all day staff 'retreat' at Providence Renewal Center with the staff of the church I work with.  It was a great day even though I was stuck in an 8 hour meeting with no hope of escape.  I have been to Providence numerous times for various retreats and I am usually excited to go there, except when I go alone- I will blog about that another time perhaps in the soon to come 'Anger' Blog where I overcome my addiction to yelling and expressing myself to people who are stupid.  Wednesday was no exception.  I was excited about the thought of what else? 'FOOD'.  I remembered what eating there was like and that made me happy, so when lunch time came you can believe I was the guy in the room saying 'Hey, I need to eat now!'

As I skipped and whistled my way down to the buffet line I had to remind myself 'Blake, make healthy choices'  By the way does anyone else's voice in their head sound like someone you live with?  So with my plate at the ready I moved into line.  They were serving salad, beef stir-fry, chicken balls in sweet and sour sauce, and rice.  I helped myself to some salad, I skipped the rice and as I looked for the stir-fry I knew something was wrong.  The tray was empty.  I could feel my annoyance rising and I tried my best to quell it, I looked at the chicken balls hoping to find some protein but whatever health had been in that chicken was fried away and covered in a sauce so sugary it could have ended up on ice cream. So I waited, surely they will have some wonderful, delicious stir-fry for me.  I was wrong.  The cook came out about 5 minutes later with more chicken balls, which they really should call fried-doughnut-with-jelly-sauce balls.  When I asked him about bringing more stir-fry he took a couple of steps back, ducked his head and said in an Asian accent 'uh...no moah' apparently delivering bad news about food to a 400 pound person is not something he is likes to do so he ran away hoping that I wasn't coming after him.  I was not impressed, and since I couldn't eat the fried things masquerading as chicken I had to go elsewhere.  I finally tracked down an 'Extreme Pita' and bought an overpriced salad that was mildly healthy and went back to the rest of my marathon staff 'retreat'.

This week also happened to be my friend's stag.  Which was a lot of fun, but the words "healthy eating" don't necessarily apply.  I brought the meat for myself and the groom as well as a salad and a bag of 'healthier' choice tortilla chips so I wouldn't feel the need to chow down on what others brought.  All in all I was really proud of myself.  There was a lot of food and beer.  I normally would have ate at least a bag of chips by myself, but I was able to keep my nibbles at other chips an actual nibble and I chose to eat more of my 'healthier' choice chips.  I only had 1/2 glass of beer, which for anyone who knows how much I like beer that is a miracle in itself.  There was an entire candy bar with M & M's, Glossette Raisins, and Ju-Jubes, which I was also able to keep my distance from.  My indulgences were an extra couple of hamburgers sans the bread, and I had a little bit of ice cream/frozen yogurt which is why I had the extra hamburger so the protein would counteract the sugar and not spike my blood sugar.  Normally the night would have looked much different, and may have included a trip to a doctor's office to get my stomach pumped from all the crap I could eat there.

I weighed in on Monday, and found that I was 395!  I was so stoked because that meant I had hit my 'Hope' (as in I hope I lose another 4 lbs this week) goal for the week, and it also meant that I had officially lost 31 lbs in less than a month.  However, my excitement was short lived because I didn't believe the scale and so when I stepped on it on Wednesday for my TRUE weekly weigh-in I found I was at 396.4lbs (I am not counting decimals though, that's too much math).  396 isn't a bad number because that meant I was still at 30lbs lost.  My stupidity apparently knows no bounds as I leapt onto the scale once more for a total of 3 times in a week and discovered that I had ballooned up to 397.8 (but let's get rid of that decimal point...) So here is how I will read it.   Technically since I weigh in on Wednesdays, then last week I lost a total of 3lbs (396), but because I weighed in on Thursday I now realize that to get to my next goal of 390 I must lose 7lbs.  I am pretty confident I can do this, maybe not get all the way down to 390 this week that would be a bit hopeful, but I would like to lose at least another 3lbs which is what I am trying to average every week.

Should be another good week.  I have a show on Tuesday at Brixx Bar and Grill (10030-102st Edmonton, AB) and it will be hard to stay away from a massive plate of nacho's or chicken wings or some other unhealthy choice, but I am determined to not allow a moment of weakness destroy a weeks worth of determined effort.

Love you all, thanks for the support!

Blake

No comments: