Saturday, April 3, 2010

Busy Days Eating Craze?

Sometimes it's really hard staying on track with my eating during my busy days.  I have to pack balanced snacks (2 Protein, 2 Carb, and 2 Fat) and water every time I go out.  Even if I am supposed to only be gone for a few hours, that's almost too long for me to go without eating.  It's like being a diabetic you have to check in on your body signals every couple of hours in order to keep your blood sugar levels and your hunger levels in the right place.  The Zone Diet is based on that science.  It's the idea if you increase your insulin levels you will gain weight.  So basically I live on a pretty low carb, low sugar diet.  I also am trying to stay away from anything super fatty and the leanest meats we can find.  It makes things hard when you need to eat fast you have to retrain yourself to think where's the nearest Extreme Pita or Subway rather than choosing from the myriad of options like Wendy's, McDonald's and any other burger joint that will pull me into their unhealthy grips.  Apparently I need a 12 step program for fast food.

Speaking of fast food, let me share my story with you on that one, and ask you a question.  How much fast food consumption is 'normal'?   For me back when I was 19 and 20 I was in a College where I my meal plan was something like this.  McDonald's on Monday, KFC (TOONIE tuesday remember that sinful, succulent meal?) Tues.,  Boston Pizza Tues. Night (Pasta Tues.  I tell you there is one rich guy in Prince Albert, SK, cuz I didn't miss a Tues. night with my buddy Clay he saw us comin' a mile away and told the kitchen to 'get it ready').  Wed. was Mcdonald's, Thurs. I would eat maybe at a friend's house, and for the weekend I would head out to the farm and eat my mom's good ol' home cookin'.   So apart from my mom's cooking on the weekend, and possibly a friend or two having pity on my stomach I ate fast food anywhere from 4-7 times a WEEK, I think now that I think of it that I am lucky I am still walking.

Today, is a busy day (worship practice etc...)  and my sis is here so we went shopping, we found ourselves out and about looking for food even though my amazing wife packed snacks for all. Lucky for us we already made the choice to find a Subway or some other sandwich such place and hit them up for all their veggies!

I guess the point I make is that life is full of choices, and we get to make them!  We choose to eat our fill of grease and fat at our local burger joint (which by the way is ok JUST maybe not ok when you are 400 lbs and trying to lose weight!) OR we can choose to find the healthy option.  When I was 19 I just did whatever the heck I felt like, and ate what I wanted, when I wanted, where I wanted without fear of consequence.  If I could talk to my 19 year old self face to face, I think I would break his nose and I could because I am bigger... thanks to him.

Talk to you next week!

He Is RISEN!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blake,

I'll be checking your blog every day, and I'll be praying for you as you endeavor to make significant physical changes in your life. I'm proud of you Blake, and wish you every success!

Nancy Peacock

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Good Job Buddy. Marianne and I started a "Biggest Loser" competition to lose 15 pounds. I tell her I'm going to win, but she is a good challenger.

Michael said...

Hey Blakey! I love the idea of your blog. Just don't let it turn into thinmaninside.com ... Chad Verity's blog about weight loss that was supposed to help him, but end up losing steam and eventually died.

I'm thinking of restarting my blog "dizzy in denver", which I used to blog about my experience there, and my journey on losing weight and building muscualr/cardio strength/endurance. I'd like to know more about your zone diet. I'm always looking to find out new ways of becoming healthier.

Ahhh...Toonie Tuesday. I remember when they used to only cost $2. What a deal it was. You never would get just one box... *barf*

Anonymous said...

hey blake. i'm just getting a chance to catch up on your posts now and i wanted to wish you the absolute best on this journey. i've been there (big) then did something about it (got small) then found myself back there again. i am much like you when it comes to associating food with just about any kind of emotion...happy, sad, anxious, angry, bored, anything really. i have never learned how to deal with my emotions properly and have come to grips that my problems will only be fixed by retraining my brain to handle my emotions properly.

even though i don't care for eating carbs, i would never restrict them again (i once did) to the point where you're energy suffers. i have learned so much from the internet the past year that doesn't get talked about in mainstream media that i have been slowly applying to my life. and since it is slow, so is the weight loss.

this may sound nasty to you but i only offer this one piece of advice, try to add a green smoothie to your regime at least a couple of times a week. there are endless ways to make them. if you want to know more about them let me know.

i am so happy for you and remember the scale is nothing but how your clothes fit really tells the story. good luck!

carrie n (i don't have a google account)