Thursday, April 1, 2010

Goals and Small Successes

So I went to the gym after a few days of being away with Amy on Spring Break.  It was a great time to see some friends and spend some time alone with each other at a retreat center outside of Cochrane, AB.   I was anxious to get back to the gym to see how I had done over the past week.  I tried my best to eat the way that Amy and I have decided to eat(which looks a lot like 'The Zone Diet') but it was hard in that Amy and I weren't in control of our menus.  However, I am in control of what I choose to eat, and how much of it goes on my plate and in mouth!  The weigh-in today was a huge success.  I am down to 409 lbs from 421 last week which brings my total weight loss to 16lbs in less than 2 weeks!

Every success is worth sharing and celebrating even if it's losing an inch or 1 lb.  and every success needs a 'reward'.  I used to give myself rewards all the time, a bag of chips for every time I moved off of the couch to get them, a Coke for every meal that had vegetables, when I was on Weight Watchers after my weigh-in I could have a cheat meal, ANYTHING I WANTED, which turned into a cheat day, a cheat weekend, a cheat week, a cheat month (which always seemed to be Dec.).  Obviously my old rewards are not going to help me much these days, so I am going to need to come up with some new ones!  Simon, my mentor of the past few years is doing this journey with me, his goal is to lose 100 lbs from 310 to 210.  We have a combined goal of 50 lbs each by June 30.  One of his 'rewards' for losing that amount of weight is money from his wife for 2 new suits!  Now I am not much of a suit guy, but I am definitely going to need some new clothes... perhaps I should put up a paypal link and let you my friends 'donate for weight' so you can buy my weight off of me... that way I can make enough money to buy some new clothes!  My  Ultimate Reward when I get to my goal will be a trip to Disneyland with my wife, because I think by then I will actually fit in the rides.  What other rewards should I have?   Each new plateau of 25lbs lost is a huge success and I think it is worth celebrating so what will I do to celebrate? Each 10lbs I lose is a small victory in this war I wage with my weight what celebration can I come up with that is a healthy expression for that success?  

I would love to hear your thoughts friends!

Here's to the first 10 lbs!  Small success leads to great victory!

10 comments:

Rachel & Dan Humenny said...

Hey Blake! Congrats! That's awesome, and I'm so proud of you for putting it on a blog! Dan and I are in the midst of a shape-up too. When you reach your goal weight, I'd love to offer you a free photo shoot to show it off!!

Janelle said...

Blake - I am super proud of you! It is most difficult to change life long habits and develop new healthy habits, but, YOU are worth it. Way to go. I celebrate every ounce that is removed (I like removed - rather than lost, because if something is lost we tend to miss it and look for it again... ) Keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Blake! It takes some He-man sized Kahonies to do what you are doing. Keep on shedding my brother! (but keep the larger than life voice and swagger!)
-Leon

Blake said...

Thanks everyone for your support... Rachel I will definitely take you up on that one!

Rus H said...

I find a substitute for comfort foods (drinks) is San Pellegrino Sparkling water. It is reasonably priced at Costco. It offers a certain snootiness while retraining my tastebuds to abhor sweetness. I like it

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you Blake! You know you can pick my brain anytime about this kind of thing. The best rewards for anything (not just fat loss) is something you enjoy that will move you closer to your goal or enrich your life in some way. For me this often means a new book or cd.

And as you've already learned rewards that contradict goal produce frustration. Like the alcoholic celebrating a year of sobriety with a drink. My biggest advice would be to find healthy substitutes for all the junk food you like. Even if you successfully avoid junk for a few months-constant denial will eventually produce binging.

I think I've developed a healthy version of all my favorite junk foods so I never feel like I am denying myself anything. They all taste better than the real thing and you usually end up eating less because it is so packed with nutrition.

Emerson said...

Hey Blake,
Congrats man, & good luck. I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with above sparkling water is a great substitute for pop if you love carbonated beverages. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Btw with a wt of 425lbs & height of 6'4 I calculate a BMI of just under 52, not 65.

All the best!
Emerson

Blake said...

Thanks Emerson... I wasn't able to accurately tell as most of the BMI Charts didn't go up to my weight... how did you figure it out?

Grant... do you have a list of all the food replacements?

Emerson said...

BMI is calculated by

Wt (kg)
-------------------
(height (meters))^2

It's annoying to calculate because kilograms and meters aren't units we typically use for these things. Easiest to use a website like:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Jtron3000 said...

Hey Blake! This is awesome, i'm proud of you. GO FOR IT! I wanted to suggest a reward. I know you love music, but i don't know if you get music legally *wink?* Anyways. Maybe your reward could be something involving music, a new CD every 10 lbs? No loss, no music, life is drab without music.
-Justin.